Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What's the Point?

So I apologize for not writing for quiet sometime, but honestly, I've had difficulty in choosing what subject to broach first. Today, I think I'm just going to talk about a few things that have made an impression on me.

I recently watched this Korean film called "Seducing Mr. Perfect," about an adorable hopeless romantic who is repeatedly jilted in love. Like all good romance comedies, the heroine finds her true love in the end with Mr. Perfect: her handsome, jaded, and seemingly aloof boss. After accepting his tutelage to learn the art of seduction, the heroine comes to the following realization as she speaks with Mr. Perfect at the end of the film:

I'm curious...what if in manipulating people we lose the pleasure of an honest conversation? Why use manipulation if we can't discover one's true feelings?Have you ever been happy in that sort of relationship? The funny thing is, after all that's happened I still miss the old me. Instead of calculating, I want to be honest. Instead of receiving, I want to give. Instead of hiding, to let out all my feelings.



Upon hearing this, I realized how much the statement resonated with me. Although by manipulating and toying with other people's feelings we may win the battle, we will ultimately lose the war. In essence, we will  cheat both our partners and ourselves out of the happiness that comes from a true relationship. We will spend so much energy on calculating the costs and benefits of every action that we will lose sight of the main purpose of the whole charade: finding someone who will love us exactly as we are.

Why is it so wrong to express the way we feel? Why do we have to run through these self-made mazes to get from point a to point b? What's the point? Life is so short, complicated, and precious that we should not waste time on such stupid activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment